Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chicken Nuggets and French Fries


For at least a year now, I've been testing out different chicken "nugget" recipes. Fortunately, no matter which recipe I use or how I cook them, the kids generally seem to like them. My biggest challenge is with the consistency/texture of the coating. I've tried baking them, frying them, flash-frying and then baking, baking and then flash-frying, but I couldn't ever get it quite right.  I really liked the method and recipe I used tonight. It needs another trial run, but is still worth posting. 

Baked Chicken Nuggets

2 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into large pieces
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp italian seasoning

Mix bread crumbs, parm, and seasoning in a bowl. Melt 1/4 cup butter in another bowl. Dip chicken pieces first in butter, then in crumb mixture. Cook on a cooling rack that is on top of a cookie sheet (I think this was key in how these ones baked so well). Bake at 425 till done (obviously depends on what size of chicken pieces you use). I turned mine halfway through baking.

Homemade French Fries

3 potatoes, peeled and sliced as desired
drizzle with approx 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Sprinkle with seasoning salt. Stir it all around
Bake at 450 for about 30 minutes (again it depends on the size you cut) turning when halfway through baking.

I made rainbow jello for a treat tonight--seemed to fit with the St. Patty's day theme! On the back of each "lucky clover" we each wrote a note to that person about why we were lucky to have them. (can't remember where I saw that idea but I loved it!)


No comments: